Monday, March 23, 2009

Personal Journal #3: 3.23.09

Some of the questions involved in this survey were shocking. They tended to lean toward the more extreme side of the spectrum for either side, whether it be the hostile sexism or benevolent sexism. I was confused by the questions regarding feminism, because I am not sure what degree of feminism they are referring to. Feminism can be simple and non-abrasive but it can also be pushy and in your face. I leaned more towards the feminism that is present today, wanting equality in the workplace. Feminists already have a major win, they got women the vote, so there is not much need for them to be extremely active today, in my opinion.
I was surprised by my scores because I scored a 2.18 on my hostile sexism report and 2.91 on my benevolent sexism score, both of which were higher than the average American male and female. I was only slightly higher than other males in hostile sexism, but a significant amount higher than females. I have not idea why that my be. Perhaps the scoring is not altogether accurate as well. I do find myself leaning more towards the chastity side and assuming that men should care for and honor women, which is what I assume the benevolent sexism is. I was closer to a 3 on this score, but am still not overtly high. In Syria, both the men and women scored higher than me in the benevolent sexism column; women near a 4.5 and men near 4.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jaclyn,

    Your personal journal has been received and 2 points have been credited.

    Hope,
    MLH

    ReplyDelete